Creating a Bootable USB for Kali Linux

https://www.kali.org/
If you are interested to see my documentation about making a bootable USB for Xubuntu please click here!

This USB was made by using the latest version of Xubuntu (the 14.04 release).

Downloading Kali Linux 


23.13. After navigating to https://www.kali.org/ I chose the version that would suit me the best and started downloading the ISO image for 64-Bit system.


USB imaging


22.40. I followed the guide offered by kali.org and used the command  sudo fdisk -l without plugging the USB yet. I needed to pay attention to the path of Device Boot (/dev/sdb1). After this I inserted USB and ran the same command again. Now I could see how the name of Device Boot had changed to sdc1. This would be my USB to use.

22.50 It only took a while to format the dd code correctly as the base was already given on Kali's web page. After running the correct command for the first time I got an error message "'/dev/sdc1': Permission denied". In these kind of situations I tend to ask sudo for help and it also worked this time.

sudo dd if=kali-linux-2.0-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdc1 bs=512k

23.04 Running the command did not give any printout until the process was complete in 14 minutes. After imaging the USB the feedback was:

6333+1 records in
6333+1 records out
3320512512 bytes (3.3 GB) copied, 756.411 s, 4.4 MB/s 

Now I was ready to boot Kali.


Running Kali


I navigated to the boot menu and chose the USB but instead of the new OS I bashed straight into the Secure Boot Violation.



I followed the instructions of the message, chose the Security tab from BIOS and enabled Secure Boot state. BIOS restarted and I tried to boot my USB again. This time it happened without any error messages. After choosing Live (amd) I finally got inside successfully.


Lastly,


I tried many times creating the USB with unetbootin, just like with Xubuntu, but I never got it to work. I used different versions of Kali and unetbootin seemingly imaged the USB but when I tried to run it from BIOS I only got a flash of a black screen before I was guided to the BIOS view again.

I strongly recommend using Xubuntu's command line for creating a bootable Kali Linux. It is easy and in my opinion more simple than unetbootin.

Sources: Making a Kali Bootable USB Drive, https://www.kali.org/

Comments

  1. If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content.
    USB名入れ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts